White Chili With Salsa
This white chili recipe is spicy with a hot salsa, then mellowed a bit with Monterrey Jack cheese. Ground chicken and cannellini beans are the main ingredients, making this a delicious chili alternative to the classic ground beef and red beans.
Ingredients for White Chili:
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 whole jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup salsa (medium or hot)
- 1 - 15 oz can of cannellini white beans, juice drained
- 4 cups chicken stock (or 2 - 14 oz cans)
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
Preparation for white chilli:
In a heavy stock pot, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. Stir in onions and garlic. Saute until translucent. Mix in ground chicken, stirring and breaking it up with a wooden spoon. When chicken is cooked (about 5-10 minutes), add cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir in seasonings. Then add salsa, cannellini beans and chicken stock. Bring to a boil then turn heat down to simmer the chili for about 20 minutes. Stir in Monterrey Jack cheese and turn off heat.
Garnish with sour cream and chopped spring onions.