This summer soup is loaded with vegetables, nine to be exact, plus haricot and broken fettuccine. An excellent chicken stock provides the seasoning, and a sun-dried tomato pesto makes every bite just pop right in your mouth. Serves 10-12.
Ingredients for the nine vegetable soup:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium or 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed and finely chopped
- 1 - 16 oz whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1-1/2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock (The stock is the seasoning for this soup. So be sure to use an excellent stock or make your own.)
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 white potatoes, diced
- 4 leeks (white parts only), thinly sliced
- 2 large stalks celery with leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (10 oz) sliced green beans
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inches
- 3/4 cup broken spaghetti or fettuccine (about 2-1/2 inches)
- 1 cup dried navy beans, soaked and then cooked until tender and drained.
Ingredients for sun-dried tomato pesto
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (or 2 tablespoons olive oil if you choose the option to add the hot soup liquid)
- 1/4 cup hot soup liquid (Optional! Note to reduce olive oil when using this method)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Preparations for the soup:
Pour vegetable oil in a frying pan to a moderate heat. Add onions, stir and cook for about one minute. Add garlic, stir and cook for another minute. Add tomatoes, cook and stir for about 8 minutes.
In a soup pot, bring stock to a boil. Add carrots, potatoes, leeks, celery and the onion and tomato mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add green beans and fettuccine. Continue to simmer for about 5 minutes. Then add zucchini and simmer until slightly tender (about 3-5 minutes). Take care not to overcook the zucchini or you will have mushy zucchini!
Preparation for the sun-dried tomato pesto (options also listed):
In a food processor, add all ingredients, except the sun-dried tomatoes, and blend until smooth. Add the sun-dried tomatoes. Adding the sun-dried tomatoes at the end makes the pesto chunky with bits of the tomatoes. If a totally smooth pesto is desired, add the sun-dried tomatoes at the step for blending.
For a quick pesto sauce, you can of course purchase from such places as Costco. In which case, just add the sun-dried tomatoes.